Teacher guidance & lesson plans
Our guidance on teaching about mental health and emotional wellbeing through PSHE education was originally produced under a Department for Education grant, and fully updated to match statutory PSHE requirements regarding Health Education, Relationships Education and Relationships and Sex Education (RSE).
It is essential to consult this guidance before delivering the accompanying suite of 18 lesson plans and resources for key stages 1 to 4. These lesson topics include teaching children how to discuss their anxieties and develop coping strategies. Key stage 3 and 4 lessons cover additional topics related to addressing challenging mental health issues. PowerPoint versions are available exclusively for PSHE Association members.
Our guidance has been fully updated and relaunched for 2019, covering key aspects of teaching about mental health effectively and safely, including:
- why teaching about mental health and emotional wellbeing is important
- key principles for teaching it safely and confidently
- building mental health and emotional wellbeing into a planned PSHE programme
- addressing challenging mental health issues
Our key stages 1 to 4 lesson plans and resources will enable schools to cover relevant content from the government’s statutory Health Education, Relationships Education and RSE guidance.
PSHE Association members have exclusive access to these PowerPoint versions, complete with:
- teacher-only slides with clear guidance notes to support lesson delivery
- interactive student-facing slides that encourage engaging lessons
It is essential to read our accompanying teacher guidance before delivering these lessons.