Taking action on body image – An active citizenship toolkit for those working with young people
A free to download 18-page PDF outlining a one-hour workshop designed for 16 to 18 year-olds aimed at promoting active citizenship around body image.
The toolkit was developed by Beat, the eating disorders charity, and Dr Helen Sharpe from Kings College London, Institute of Psychiatry, with funding from the Government Equalities Office.
The resource includes background information for those who are going to deliver the lesson, as well as six optional activities which cover:
- What is Body Image?: Understanding body image and its links with self-esteem
- Hidden messages: Critically evaluating body ideas presented in the media
- The social media trap: Exploring the challenges that social media poses for body confidence
- Combating negative body talk: Recognising and challenging negative body talk with friends
- Personal strengths: Recognising and harnessing our personal strengths
- Review and take action: Review what has been covered and plan a practical step you could take forward after the sessions.
Date uploaded: 09 Mar 2016